Welcome to Class 1RD
Welcome to Class 1RD’s web page. Mrs Royston and Miss Dunn are both very proud of all of the hard work we have done so far this year. We cannot believe that we are into the final term!
This term our topics will be ‘Where we live’.
In science we will be identifying and naming common materials, describing their simple properties and classifying and comparing them.
We will be looking at significant local people and changes in living memory in history and in geography we will identify features in the local environment.
In art we will continue to develop our skills by developing techniques of colour, pattern, and texture.
In English we will continue to develop our story writing. We will work on adding and and because to our sentences as well as using adjectives to describe nouns. Our non-fiction writing will be non-chronological reports and we will base this on our ‘where we live’ topic.
In maths we will continue to work on number and begin to divide and multiply by grouping and sharing. We will look at money and begin to recognise different coins and notes and we will use our maths knowledge to solve one step problems.
Next half term our topic will be Our world. In this topic we will identify and compare common animals and distinguish between carnivores, omnivores and herbivores. We will compare and contrast different climates around the world and learn how to use a compass.
In the summer term all children in year 1 will sit the phonics screening check. This is a national check where children will be asked to use their phonics knowledge to read a variety of real and alien words. We would appreciate any support you can give to your child in preparing for the check. There are a variety of website links and resources in the parents tab at the top of the web page.
Things to remember:
- It is important to read at home as much as possible so that we improve. Reading logs should be signed by an adult.
- Reading books will be changed every Friday morning as long you have read at home and had your reading log signed.
- Library books will be changed every Thursday (Please look after your library books)
- PE is on Tuesdays morning and we must remember to bring our PE kit every week.
- Homework is given on a Friday and it needs to be completed and handed in on Monday morning.