Welcome to Class 1B's web page.
Miss Blakeley is proud of all of the hard work we have done so far this year. We cannot believe that we are into the final term!
This term our topics will be ‘Where we live’.
In science we will be identifying and naming common materials, describing their simple properties and classifying and comparing them.
We will be looking at significant local people and changes in living memory in history and in geography we will identify features in the local environment.
In art we will continue to develop our skills by developing techniques of colour, pattern, and texture.
In English we will continue to develop our story writing. We will work on adding and and because to our sentences as well as using adjectives to describe nouns. Our non-fiction writing will be non-chronological reports and we will base this on our ‘where we live’ topic.
In maths we will continue to work on number and begin to divide and multiply by grouping and sharing. We will look at money and begin to recognise different coins and notes and we will use our maths knowledge to solve one step problems.
Next half term our topic will be Our world. In this topic we will identify and compare common animals and distinguish between carnivores, omnivores and herbivores. We will compare and contrast different climates around the world and learn how to use a compass.
In the summer term all children in year 1 will sit the phonics screening check. This is a national check where children will be asked to use their phonics knowledge to read a variety of real and alien words. We would appreciate any support you can give to your child in preparing for the check. There are a variety of website links and resources in the parents tab at the top of the web page.
- We need our book bags every day at school, with our reading books and reading logs inside. We should read as much as possible with an adult at home, preferably every day. Our reading books will be changed on a Friday if we have read at home with an adult.
- Monday is our library day and therefore we must remember to bring our books with us on a Monday, so that we can swap them.
- We are given homework every Friday, which must be brought back completed on a Monday morning.
- On Friday we will be given spellings, which must be learnt in preparation for our spelling test the following Friday.
- We must make sure we have our PE kits on a Thursday. It is important that we also remove all of our jewellery before coming to school so that we do not waste our P.E time. If earrings cannot be removed, we must cover them before school time with a plaster or masking tape.